Getting Cleaned Up
When a body builder looks in the mirror, he determines where his weak points are so that he can place priority on them, enhancing them so that they don't show up on stage - at the big, upcoming event. This is referred to as the PTP (Priority Training Principle). The bodybuilder will "attack" his weak areas in order to eliminate points being taken away at the upcoming big event. Even so, as a disciple of Christ who will one day stand on the stage of God's Judgment throne, we should seek to eliminate every weak point of our life in Christ, so that we can receive rewards, instead of losing them. Below is a bit of data that might help you in this task, but first, let's read a text from the Word that details what the focus of the believer should be in order to eliminate weak points:
2 Peter 1:4-12:
4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises (in the written Word): that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust. 5 And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; 6 And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness; 7 And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity. 8 For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins. 10 Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall: 11 For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. 12 Wherefore I will not be negligent to put you always in remembrance of these things, though ye know them, and be established in the present truth.
CONQUERING ALL (Romans 8:37):
"Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us." Romans 8:37
- First, determine your weak points (places where you sin, or have sinful tendencies, etc.). Judge yourself thoroughly (1 Cor. 11:31-32). Do not make excuses, there will be none to make on that Great Day when His translucent light pierces through the depths of our being to expose all darkness that we refused to expel.
- Next, search the Scriptures for every verse and text you can find that apply to your weak point(s).
- Now, cross reference each verse to the corresponding verses on this subject. This is called cross referencing, and will build your Bible knowledge and usefulness in the topic you are studying.
- Study these verses prayerfully for a week (I've had to do it for longer at times). Pray about your weaknesses and drown/flood your mind and heart with these specific verses and I believe the LORD is going to give you His grace to overcome.
- Prayerfully confess aloud your victory in these areas using the Word (Prov. 18:20-21). For example, you could plug your sinful tendency into Romans 6:14: "The sin of ___________ will have no place in my life or have dominion over me, I am not under the law but under grace."
Ephesians 5:26 "That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,"
In this exercise you are feeding your spirit/heart with God's nutrients, so it is strengthened and will therefore become stronger than your sinful nature and take "dominion" (Rom. 6:14). This is part of the meaning of the word "transformed."
"And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God." Romans 12:2
When are we considered "clean" in God's eyes?
The LORD is cleaning up His people/remnant:
"For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not (not just profess) the gospel of God?" 1 Peter 4:17
Jesus Is Coming.
Looking For Direction In the Word?
Bible Literacy Series
The Blessings of Bible Reading
Tribute To the Bible
Wanting Great Peace?
“The Thoughts of His Heart”
Why Did God Give Us His Word?
Biblical Case Against Naivety
Who Should I Believe?
The Original Gospel
Holy Word of God
The Believer and The Word
LET’S LEARN GOD’S WORD TOGETHER - ONE TRUTH AT A TIME: Are you tired of reading Scripture or hearing a good message from the Word and not retaining any of it for yourself and to help others? This message was sent out to each person who is on our Moments For My Master e-mail devotional list. We would love to add you and have the privilege of nourishing your heart with God's Word (1 Tim. 4:6). Sign up here.