(Duplication encouraged. An open Bible should accompany your study of this topic. Study each verse given in order to answer each question correctly. Print this document out and pencil in the answers in the blanks provided. It may be best to cut and paste it to your word processing software and then print it out. Your life in Christ will be enriched forever as you embrace and put into practice His Word.)
"For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him." 2 Corinthians 5:21
Righteousness is the character or quality of being right. The word righteous defines the state of one who is in right standing with God.
God created Adam, the first man, in righteousness. Adam and his wife Eve sinned against God and became separated from Him. Because they sinned, Adam and Eve became unrighteous, which means they were no longer in right standing with God.
The entire human race was contaminated with the sinful nature due to the fall of the first man and woman (Rom. 5:12). In order to bring mankind back into right standing with Himself, God sent His only begotten Son to the earth (John 3:16). Jesus Christ shed His sinless blood on the cross to become the One and only sin sacrifice by which man can be placed back in right standing with the Father. The perfect redeeming sacrifice of Jesus is God's only method of redeeming fallen mankind (Rom. 3:21-26).
"Therefore as by the offence (sin) of one (Adam) judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one (Jesus) the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life." Romans 5:18
1. Of whom is righteousness an attribute? Who is the Righteous One? Psalms 11:7
2. How is the righteousness of God revealed? Romans 1:16,17
3. Upon whom is God's righteousness bestowed? Romans 4:4-6
4. What does not make a man righteous? Romans 3:21; Galatians 2:21
5. To what does God liken man's own righteousness to? Isaiah 64:6
6. What does God require of man in order to receive the gift of righteousness? Romans 3:22; 10:10
Faith exercised toward Jesus Christ brings the believer into vital union with God. The righteousness of God can only be appropriated by faith.
7. Who do those who "receive abundance of grace and the gift of righteousness" reign with?
Righteousness is the gracious gift of God whereby all who believe on the Lord Jesus Christ are brought into a right relationship with Him. His blood was the final payment for the sins of mankind and the gift of righteousness is freely granted to all who place their complete trust in Him. Those who are born again and given the gift of righteousness are unshackled from the claim and dominion of sin and privileged to reign and overcome in this life through continuing faith in Jesus Christ.
8. Who is our Righteousness? 1 Corinthians 1:30
9. In Christ Jesus, what are believers? 2 Corinthians 5:21
In Christ Jesus a man is made righteous and becomes all that God requires him to be, all that he could never be in himself. The Lord Jesus "who knew no sin" became sin for us so that we could be brought into a personal relationship with God and spend eternity with Him. What a gift!
10. Which person of the Godhead convinces the righteous man that he is righteous? John 16:7, 8
11. In the world which we live, how can we determine who is righteous and who is wicked?
1 John 2:29, 3:7, 10
When one is in right standing with God righteousness of life will be the result. The clear evidence that one is in right standing with God is that the fruits of God are being produced in his life - Galatians 5:22,23; Ephesians 5:9.
12. When you were an unrighteous servant of sin, from what were you free? Romans 6:20
13. In whose honor should we live in the righteousness of God? 1 Peter 2:24
The man who is righteous in the eyes of God will live in holy conformity to His will, reckoning himself to be dead unto sin while continually looking to the One whose death and resurrection made his righteousness possible.
14. Complete the following as is recorded in Romans 6:19:
"Even so now yield your members ____________________________________
15. What will happen in this world to all who are righteous? Matthew 5:10
Notice that the righteous are "blessed" and the kingdom of Heaven is theirs.
16. What are two things that will never mix? 2 Corinthians 6:14
17. How does a righteous person continue in righteousness? Romans 6:16
18. Can God's righteousness be forfeited? Ezekiel 33:12,13
If yes, how? Ezekiel 33:12, 13
Righteousness is forfeited when one turns from God to his own way/sin and continues therein.
See 2 Peter 2:20-22; 1 John 1:7; Heb. 3:6,14; 4:1,11; 6:4-6; 10:26-39; Rom. 11:22; Matthew 24:13, etc.
19. What exclusive class of people have their names written in God's special book? Psalms 69:28
Notice here that the "righteous" are "written" in "the book of the living." Also take heed to the fact that names can be "blotted out of the book of the living" according to this verse of Scripture.
20. What holy attribute is evidence that one is righteous? Proverbs 28:1
When a person is in right standing with God, no guilt of sin or condemnation are resident within his heart; therefore, he is at liberty and emboldened to share the truth and love of God.
21. Who will never be moved as he continues to cast his burden upon the Lord? Psalms 55:22
ASSIGNMENT: (optional; suggested)
In 250 words or more state the divine purpose for the righteousness of God and the benefits imparted to the believer by being made righteous by Him. Base what you say upon what the Scriptures teach and list the references. Approach this essay with prayer and deep thought. Write your essay neatly and with organization.
SCRIPTURE MEMORIZATION: 2 Corinthians 5:21 (highly suggested)
It would be very advantageous for you to cross reference all of the Scriptures in this study. For example, pencil in each topically similar verse into the margin next to the corresponding verses on this same subject. Write out these verses with references on index cards - make it a priority to carry and post them where you will study and meditate upon them daily. These two measures will build in you a wealth of truth on this topic. This will help you to retain and become resourceful in the things of God - ready to be used of Him. (2 Timothy 4:2) Capture the knowledge that you have learned, don't let it get away from you. Capitalize on your efforts. This is good stewardship and preparation in earnest.
Are you Born Again ?
Making Peace with God
Holy Word of God
The Blood of Jesus
Holy Ghost Baptism
The Believer and The Word